Problem with a PDF and "MyriadPro-Regular-SC700" font

7719 views 5 replies
Reply to Topic
porcini

Total Posts: 23

Topic on Nov 07, 2012 09:10 PM
I've fot a .PDF from a friend and it looks all messed..(wrong kerning)

If I open it in Illustrator it says that I`m missing the font (The font MyriadPro-Regular-SC700 is missing) but I do have the Myriad Pro Regular installed.. anyways.. with Acrobat I should be able to see the file even if I don't have the font cos .PDF files should have the fonts embedded right?

Attached is a preview of this document with the kerning problem.

Thanks!

khaosdark says
Reply on Nov 07, 2012 10:48 PM
porcini, don't know if you are on a mac or windows... but if in windows, then 2 observations:

1. Acrobat and fonts are very specific... it seems that the original pdf was embedded with a specific language variant of Myriad Pro (SC ?)... so even though you have Myriad pro... its not the same myriad pro... i am unaware that Acrobat can internally substitute fonts... but windows can...

2. Have no clue whether this will work with acrobat, but windows has a "regedit" key called FontSubstitutes:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\FontSubstitutes

you might try subing the SC version with the one that is installed on your system...

let us know if it worked or not, and well try to think of something more creative... if you can, you might contact your friend to see if he/she has the original font files... i'll search as well...

Regards

Khaos

porcini says
Reply on Nov 07, 2012 10:53 PM
thanks khaosdark.
the screenshot I've posted is from my mac, my friend also is on the mac and he has the same problem regarding the visualisation of that text on the left hand side.

probably the file comes from a pc then ? with a different language variant (Chinese) and my friend and myself we don't have that language variant ..?

If I send you the .PDF can you try to open in Illustrator and (if the fonts are looking good) will you convert the text to paths for us?

But if you are busy, don't worry, it's not urgent..
Thanks a lot!!

porcini says
Reply on Nov 07, 2012 10:57 PM
the file is here BTW:

http://ge.tt/1qV8y9R/v/0

It's just the 1st page that we are interested of...

Thanks!

khaosdark says
Reply on Nov 07, 2012 11:55 PM
well. i've tried a couple of tricks... but unfortunately, every time i open the pdf with illustrator, the missing font is converted to outlines...

... i even took an original Myriad Pro Regular, and renamed internally to the SC700 variant ( here )... but acrobat still doesn't recognize it... and illustrator recognizes the new font, but still converts it to outline...

maybe a mac version with the above test will be better ?

But indeed the page is importable to illustrator, and maybe a real simple solution is to simply retype the text that is messed up... the pic and smaller text seems okay on this end...

Let me know...

porcini says
Reply on Nov 08, 2012 12:03 AM
Thanks a lot for your time!
God knows what they did to that file :)

My friend is trying to get anther version of the file...
Cheers!

Reply to Topic

Font'O'Day List

Please enter your email address receive a free font daily from Fonts101.com in your Email!